Tues and Wed lunch Bible studies, Sat Harpers Ferry trip, and other announcements
Dear Public Health Christian Fellowship,
The prophet Joel writes to the Israelites, urging repentance and giving thanks for God's mercy: You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, who has dealt wondrously with you. And my people shall never again be put to shame. You know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the Lord your God and there is none else. (Joel 2:26-27) Brothers and sisters in the SPH, praying that we can be like Paul who said, For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes (Rom 1:16). As you go about your studies and work this week, may you lean on God's grace and extend his grace to those around you.
This week's activities:
- Tuesday Bible study in the Book of John - 12noon in Room W9514 (9th floor, conference room next to The Garden Plate).
- Wednesday Flourishing in grad school Bible study (this week's passage: Exodus 16:1-30) -- 12:15pm in room W2033.
New PHCF whatsapp group: we've heard some interest in a whatsapp group for easier communication/support/sharing/
prayer during the week outside of our meetings / beyond emails. Please email email@example.com with your name and phone number if you're interested in joining.
Grace and peace,
Teresa - for PHCF
Helpful links: PHCF website | map/list of local churches
Helpful links: PHCF website | map/list of local churches
- Praises and prayers
- Housing opportunities
- Job and scholarship opportunities
- Johns Hopkins International Fellowship on Fridays
- ALPHA Course at Saint Moses Church in Charles Village
- "Discovering Christ" September series at the Basilica
- Worship night at Village Church (Hampden) - Sept 14
- Hiking trip at Harpers Ferry - Sept 22
- Volunteer opportunity with Hope Clinic - Sept 28 and 30, Oct 7
- Global Missions Health Conference - Louisville KY - Nov 8-10
1. Praises and prayers:
- Pray for the persecuted church around the world. Pray for those enduring through natural disaster. Pray for the leaders of the nations around the world, and of our state and city.
- Pray for Christian Faculty at the SPH as we start gathering for sharing and prayer on the last Tuesday of the month - contact Teresa for more details if interested in joining!
- Pray for new students as they settle down in Baltimore, start classes, and find spiritual community at the SPH and in local churches.
- Pray for our PHCF brothers and sisters who are currently afar for work/practicum/missions/
dissertation research, for favor in their work and traveling mercies.
- Pray for our PHCF brothers and sisters who recently graduated (or are graduating soon), finishing their capstones/theses/
dissertations, and/or who are seeking God's direction/calling for jobs and career. May we trust in God's plans more than our own, for his ways are higher than our ways and his thoughts than our thoughts (Is 55:9)
- Pray for the leaders (and leaders-in-training, and advisors, and members) of the various ministries around Hopkins - for unity, wisdom, and a big vision for God's work on campus this academic year.
2. Housing opportunities
- For Rent: 2 available rooms @ 504 N Chester St (5-min walk away from JHSPH). Big space, well-lighted row home for female tenants with responsive landlord. Shared living room and kitchen but each room has its own spacious bathroom. Bedroom at the 2nd floor is priced at 560/month. Basement is priced at 550/month. Does not include utilities and internet. Not yet furnished but may talk to landlord about renting furniture. Overall awesome place that's very close to the Medical Campus :) Contact Jessica (current tenant) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Grant (landlord) at email@example.com
- Looking for a Christian male roommate. A bedroom with a private bath is available in a nice town house with washer and dryer. $700/month including utilities and internet. House is in the corner of Univ Pkwy and E 33rd Street. Contact Jacob at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Job and scholarship opportunities
- For alumni - an epidemiology faculty position has opened at Wheaton College! Link Here for more information.
- The Harvey Fellows Program provides scholarships ($16k) to Christian students who are pursuing graduate studies at premier universities in fields considered to be underrepresented by Christians and who possess a unique vision to impact society through their vocations. Applications due Nov 1. More information here.
4. Johns Hopkins International Fellowship on Friday evenings
The International Fellowship (JHIF) hosts its weekly Friday dinner and Bible study at 7pm in the Green House Cafe in the PreClinical Teaching Building (725 N Wolfe St). International students and scholars (and people who like getting to know people from different cultures and backgrounds) are welcome to join! More information here.
5. ALPHA Course at Saint Moses Church in Charles Village
A 11-week course (free dinner provided at 6:30pm) on Monday nights starting Sept 17 - come with your questions about faith. Designed for seekers. Alpha is an opportunity to explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open, and informal environment. 400 E 31st St, Baltimore, MD 21218. Register by calling/texting 724-307-5691.
6. "Discovering Christ" September series at the Baltimore Basilica
Join Amanda Krow and others from the Catholic community for an evening series on "Discovering Christ" at the Baltimore Basilica. More information here.
7. Hiking trip at Harpers Ferry - this Sat! Sept 22
Join PHCF and JHIF for a fun hiking trip at Harpers Ferry, WV, on Sat Sept 22 (12:30-9pm). Explore a historic town, admire the beauty of nature, and get to know other Hopkins students and affiliates! Rides available from JHMI, Downtown, Mount Vernon, and Homewood campus. More details here and register here.
8. Volunteer Opportunity with Hope Clinic - Sept 28 and 30, Oct 7
- What: Hope Clinic - free dental care, general medical care and health education services to the uninsured and under-insured
- Who: AMEN (Adventist Medical Evangelism Network)
- When & Where:
**Friday & Sunday, September 28 & 30, Philadelphia, PA
**Sunday, October 7th - Silver Spring, MD
- Types of Volunteers Needed (must be 15 and older):
** Medical professionals;
** Non-medical professionals (registration, hospitality, crowd control, chaplaincy/prayer team, patient exit, coat giveaway, patient eyeglass selection, etc.);
** Translators/Interpreters (for Silver Spring particularly need Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, & Russian)
- Areas Available to Volunteer In:
** Dental Area; Vision Area; Medical Area; General Volunteer; Student Volunteer (Dental & Medical students can get volunteer hours); Student Instructor Volunteer
- Examples of Different Departments:
** Children's Ministry; Food Services; Sterilization; Central Supply; Hospitality; Pastor/Chaplain's; Vision Services; Lifestyles
- All volunteers must register here --> https://
- Video of Patient Testimonies: https://vimeo.
- If interested in volunteering and you need a ride to Silver Spring you can contact Jan at email@example.com (limited seats available)
9. Global Missions Health Conference - Louisville KY - Nov 8-10
Registration ($110 for students) is currently ongoing for the global missions health conference! GMHC is a weekend of encouragement, networking, learning, and much more. Free housing available for students. This year will also have a special emphasis on human trafficking. Learn more at www.medicalmissions.com/
events/gmhc-2018 - Talk with Teresa if you are interested in going as a group!
More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (Rom 5:3-5)