New to Baltimore? Looking for a church?
To start you off on your search, we put together a (not comprehensive) list of local churches to which current/past members of PHCF belong. Let us know what churches we've missed, and we'll add to this list!
Churches in Baltimore (alphabetical order, by neighborhood/area)
Close to JHMI campus (including East Baltimore, Butchers Hill, Fells Point, Patterson Park, Highlandtown, Canton)
· Abbott Memorial Presbyterian Church (Highlandtown) http://www.abbottchurch.org/
o Sunday worship is at 10:45am. Adult Sunday school classes are at 9:45am. Several community groups meet throughout the city on different days during the week. Strong expository teaching and a somewhat more traditional style of worship. Located just east of Patterson Park.
o A member of the PCA denomination. The church is a mixture of old and young with lots of young children. Several JHMI faculty/staff are members. Actively serves the community by tutoring elementary and middle school age students and by distributing food, clothes, and money to our neighbors in need. There is always a need for volunteers to help!
o Contact: Dr. Matt DeCamp (email@example.com)
· Gallery Church (Patterson Park) https://gcbpatterson.com/
o 10am service: 3115 Eastern Ave (southeast corner of Patterson Park, on the edge of Highlandtown)
o Bilingual English and Spanish service – also within walking/biking or circulator distance from Johns Hopkins medical campus
· Harris Creek Community Church (North Patterson Park) www.harriscreekchurch.com
o 10:45am service - meets in William Paca Elementary School (200 N Lakewood Ave, 21224). We want Baltimore to be the great city God intended it to be, by proclaiming the good news of Jesus and working for the city's flourishing.
o Contact: Hansoo Jin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Haven City Church (Fells Point) https://www.baltimorechurch.com/
o 10am service: basement of Sanctuary Bodyworks (710 S Ann St)
o A small but growing non-denominational church, the vibe is welcoming and informal. The church is very involved in the local community and now runs the Compassion Center on Eastern Ave. The congregation is diverse. Preaches through books of the Bible, verse by verse.
o Contact: Annie Sanford (email@example.com)
· Redemption City Church (Canton/Highlandtown/Brewers Hill) http://www.rccbaltimore.org/
o 10am service, 3305 Eastern Ave Baltimore MD 21224
o Emphasis on expository preaching, church planting, social justice
· The Mix Church (Butchers Hill/Upper Fells) http://themixchurch.com/
Close to Homewood campus (including Charles Village, Hampden, Waverly)
· City Harbor Church (Hampden) www.cityharborchurch.com
o A church plant from Portland, OR started in 2010, very engaged in reaching the homeless. Services Sunday at 10:00 am.
· Faith Christian Fellowship (Pen Lucy / north of Homewood) www.fcfchurch.org
o A Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) committed to "celebrate and apply the reconciling work of Jesus Christ among the diverse cultures of Baltimore"
o Services are held at 8:30 and 11am in the Pen Lucy/Guilford neighborhood (close to Charles Village and the JHU Homewood campus)
o A church shuttle is available for the 11am service for students who live near the Homewood campus or the medical campus (picks up from in front of the hospital dome)
o Contact: Natalie Robinett (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Saint Moses Church (St. Mo's) (Charles Village) https://saintmos.org/
o A non-denominational plant from Central Presbyterian Church started in 2015, currently meeting in a historic church building near the Waverly Farmer's Market. Very welcoming. Alpha sessions (outreach oriented meetings) this fall
o Contact: BJ Hall (email@example.com)
· Saints Philip and James Catholic Church and University Parish (Charles Village) http://philipandjames.org
o Located at 2801 N. Charles St. 21218 and led by Dominican priests, this church has an active Frassati Society (young adults group), young families ministry, and ministry to the Hopkins undergraduate campus.
· University Baptist Church (Homewood) http://www.ubcbaltimore.org/
o Reaching its 100 anniversary in 2017, University Baptist Church is a congregation who loves to "worship our Lord, grow together, and serve others." LIFE Groups available during the week.
o Sunday gatherings are at 9:30am (Bible study and Children's Sunday school) and 11:00am (Traditional worship service) at the Charles/34th St intersection (across the street from Homewood campus)
· Worthy Life Baptist Church (Homewood) www.worthylife.org
o Housed within McCormick Center at University Baptist Church, Worthy Life is home to one of the Chinese Christian fellowships at Homewood campus
· Village Church Hampden http://www.villagechurchhampden.com/
o 10am service, 3647 Roland Ave. “The Village Church exists to lead people to reconciliation with God and reconciliation with one another." Socioeconomically diverse church, contemporary worship style.
o Contact: Teresa Yeh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Close to Downtown (including Inner Harbor, Fed Hill, Mount Vernon, Penn Station, Station North)
· Baltimore Catholic Basilica (Mt Vernon) http://americasfirstcathedral.org
o Located at 409 Cathedral St. Baltimore MD 21201 and easily accessible from the Hopkins shuttle stop, it has a vibrant young professionals ministry.
o Contact: Deacon Sean Keller (email@example.com)
· Epiphany Church Baltimore (Station North) https://www.epiphanybmore.com/
o A church plant out of Epiphany Fellowship in Camden, NJ started in 2017. Meets at 11:00 am Sundays.
· Gallery Church (Downtown/Little Italy) https://gcbdowntown.com/
o 10am service: 1840's Plaza, 29 S Front Street,Baltimore, MD 21202
o Multi-ethnic, diverse socio-economic community of believers who intentionally live to love and serve their neighbors and communities. Contemporary worship style. Within walking/biking or Charm city circulator distance from Johns Hopkins medical campus (just steps from Shot Tower Metro stop)
· Grace City (Federal Hill) http://gracecity.gfc.org/gracecity/
o Non-denominational church, city campus of Grace Fellowship (Lutherville-Timonium). The age range for Grace City includes 20-30 year-olds in a congregation mixed with younger and older families. Currently meets at 9:30 am and 11:00am Sundays at Federal Hill Prep, 1040 William Street — 1 minute walk from Purple Circulator stop. Committed to racial reconciliation and diversity
o Contact: Elizabeth Uhlig (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Jesus Our Redeemer (JOR) (Federal Hill) http://jesusourredeemer.com/
o Sunday Service at 10:30am (lasts about an hour and 15 minutes) at 113 Warren Ave. Worship is a mix of contemporary and hymns; teaching is centered on the Word. Mission is to “transform the city by making disciples and loving our neighbors”
o Baptist church, around 80 people in attendance each week, multi-generational (was formerly the Lee St. Memorial Baptist Church, until the merger with a church plant from North Carolina when it became JOR). You can get to the church by taking the Circulator (Purple line to Montgomery Street stop) OR Kate can just drive you!
o Contact: Kate Culbreath (email@example.com) - in a small group “Gospel Family” of about 15 people that is specifically made for people who are a part of the Johns Hopkins community (nurses, PhD students, physical therapists, research techs, etc) so if you are interested in coming to our small group or if you need a ride to church please contact me!
· Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church (Mt Vernon) www.mountvernonumc.org
· The Light Church (Mt Vernon) www.atthelight.org
o Charismatic / Spirit-filled church. Service is 4-6pm Sundays, 10 E Mount Vernon Place
· Village Church Station North http://www.villagechurchstationnorth.com/
o 9:30am service at Joe Squared (33 W North Ave), new church plant
Other Baltimore neighborhoods
· Gallery Church SoWeBo (West Baltimore) https://gcbsowebo.com/
o 10am service: 30 S Gilmor St Baltimore, MD 21223 (southwest Baltimore, near the University of Maryland medical campus)
o Contact: Kellen Knowles (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· The Garden (Bolton Hill) http://www.thegardenbaltimore.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/THEGARDENBALTIMORE?fref=ts
o 10:30am service, 1528 Madison Ave
o Spirit-filled and Word-focused. A church that loves its community and works hard to reach out to the people around them. A more middle/lower income church than Gallery, about 50-50 ratio African Americans to Whites. About 50-60 in attendance. Great teaching.
o Contact: Joel Kurz (email@example.com - pastor)
· New Song Community Church (Sandtown) http://nscommunity.org/
o 11am service, 1601 N Calhoun St
o Member of the PCA denomination, though the urban and ethnic setting of the church are very different from most PCA churches. In the same neighborhood as the Garden (NW Baltimore, Sandtown), and also very community focused. There's a couple hopkins residents/one or two faculty that go here, and some U. Maryland residents/students as well. Probably 80-20 ratio African Americans to whites, with a wide variety of socioeconomic backgrounds. Attendance about 50.
Churches outside of Baltimore City (e.g. Baltimore County, Howard County)
· Central Presbyterian Church (Towson) http://www.centralpc.org/
o 1.2 miles south of the Towson circle, at 7308 York Road, Towson, MD
o an evangelical congregation in the PC(USA) that is dedicated to: Authentic community; Clear, Biblical, Christ-centered teaching; Outreach and Missions; Dependence on God through prayer; Embracing ethnic diversity; Expansion of neighborhood based ministry
o Contemporary Worship at 9:00 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. Traditional Worship at 10:45 a.m.
o Contact: Dwight Schwartz, 410-375-9645 (cell phone, please text or call)
· Church in Columbia 哥伦比亚教会 – (443) 341-1703 http://www.churchincolumbiamaryland.org
· Empowerment Temple AME Church (Reisterstown) www.empowermenttemple.org
· Freedom Church (Rosedale) http://www.freedomchurchbaltimore.org
o An Acts 29 church plant a little past Northwood.
· Grace Community Church (Columbia, southwest of Baltimore) www.gcconline.org
o Great teaching and young adult groups
· Grace Life Church – Elkridge, MD (just southwest of Baltimore) http://www.gracelifechurch.com/
· Greater Baltimore Church of Christ (Columbia , MD) http://www.gbcoc.net/
o Sunday services at 10am at Long Reach High School, carpools are organized from Baltimore city, so rides are not a problem.
o Midweek services and Bible-Talk discussions in smaller groups occur during the weekdays.
o Commitment to discipleship and one-another relationships.
o Vibrant group of young adults and professionals in the Baltimore city Bible talk!
o Contact: Onyi Eke (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Fidel Desir (email@example.com)
· Greater Grace World Outreach (Moravia Park) www.ggwo.org
· Jesus House Baltimore (Pikesville) www.jesushousebaltimore.org
· Nativity Catholic Church (Timonium, south of Baltimore) http://www.churchnativity.tv/
o Located just outside of Baltimore city, a 20 minute drive from downtown at 20 E Ridgely Rd Timonum MD 21093, Nativity is known for growing from a dying parish to thousands of active families, its welcoming environment and its contemporary worship service and active small group ministry.
o Contact: Tori Pangia (678-463-5590)
· Rock City Church – Baltimore, MD www.rockcitychurch.com
· Soteria Church (Pikesville) http://soteriachurch.org/
o Pan-African congregation, with a small group meeting weekly at 1015 N. Washington St.
o Contact: Eunice (443-722-4001)