Wed 12:15 W2033 ice cream social meet and greet, and other announcements
Dear Public Health Christian Fellowship,
Today we celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Alma Ata Declaration, declaring the importance of primary health care. Though we are still far from "health for all", we can give thanks that our God cares deeply about all the people he has placed on this world: he binds up the brokenhearted, frees captives and prisoners, comforts those who mourn, and gives his people everlasting joy (Isaiah 61). And in the new heaven and new earth, "[God] will dwell with [man], and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." (Rev 21:3-4). Praise God that he has given each of us good work to do, and praying that you be Jesus' hands and feet to those around you, until that day comes!
Our Tuesday Bible study, led by MPH'er Travis Roberts, in the Book of John starts today! 12pm in Room W9514 (9th floor, conference room next to The Garden Plate).
Please join us this Wednesday for our fall ice cream social / PHCF meet-and-greet -- 12:15pm in room W2033. See you there!
New PHCF whatsapp group: we've heard some interest in a whatsapp group for easier communication/support/sharing/
prayer during the week outside of our meetings / beyond emails. Please contact Teresa or Jessica if you're interested in joining.
Grace and peace,
Teresa - for PHCF
Helpful links: PHCF website | map/list of local churches
7. Worship night at Village Church (Hampden) - Sep 14
Helpful links: PHCF website | map/list of local churches
- Praises and prayers
- Housing opportunities
- Job and scholarship opportunities
- Johns Hopkins International Fellowship on Fridays
- ALPHA Course at Saint Moses Church in Charles Village
- "Discovering Christ" September series at the Basilica
- Worship night at Village Church (Hampden) - Sept 14
- Hiking trip at Harpers Ferry - Sept 22
- Volunteer opportunity with Hope Clinic - Sept 28 and 30, Oct 7
- Global Missions Health Conference - Louisville KY - Nov 8-10
1. Praises and prayers:
- Pray for the persecuted church around the world. Pray for those enduring through natural disaster (e.g. those preparing for the hurricane along the East Coast). Pray for the leaders of the nations around the world, and of our state and city.
- Pray for Christian Faculty at the SPH as we start gathering for sharing and prayer on the last Tuesday of the month - contact Teresa for more details if interested in joining!
- Pray for new students as they settle down in Baltimore, start classes, and find spiritual community at the SPH and in local churches.
- Pray for our PHCF brothers and sisters who are currently afar for work/practicum/missions/
dissertation research, for favor in their work and traveling mercies.
- Pray for our PHCF brothers and sisters who recently graduated (or are graduating soon), finishing their capstones/theses/
dissertations, and/or who are seeking God's direction/calling for jobs and career. May we trust in God's plans more than our own, for his ways are higher than our ways and his thoughts than our thoughts (Is 55:9)
- Pray for the leaders (and leaders-in-training, and advisors, and members) of the various ministries around Hopkins - for unity, wisdom, and a big vision for God's work on campus this academic year.
2. Housing opportunities
- For Rent: 2 available rooms @ 504 N Chester St (5-min walk away from JHSPH). Big space, well-lighted row home for female tenants with responsive landlord. Shared living room and kitchen but each room has its own spacious bathroom. Bedroom at the 2nd floor is priced at 560/month. Basement is priced at 550/month. Does not include utilities and internet. Not yet furnished but may talk to landlord about renting furniture. Overall awesome place that's very close to the Medical Campus :) Contact Jessica (current tenant) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Grant (landlord) at email@example.com
- Looking for a Christian male roommate. A bedroom with a private bath is available in a nice town house with washer and dryer. $700/month including utilities and internet. House is in the corner of Univ Pkwy and E 33rd Street. Contact Jacob at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Job and scholarship opportunities
- For alumni - an epidemiology faculty position has opened at Wheaton College! Link Here for more information.
- The Harvey Fellows Program provides scholarships ($16k) to Christian students who are pursuing graduate studies at premier universities in fields considered to be underrepresented by Christians and who possess a unique vision to impact society through their vocations. Applications due Nov 1. More information here.
4. Johns Hopkins International Fellowship on Friday evenings
The International Fellowship (JHIF) hosts its weekly Friday dinner and Bible study at 7pm in the Green House Cafe in the PreClinical Teaching Building (725 N Wolfe St). International students and scholars (and people who like getting to know people from different cultures and backgrounds) are welcome to join! More information here.
5. ALPHA Course at Saint Moses Church in Charles Village
A 11-week course (free dinner provided at 6:30pm) on Monday nights starting Sept 17 - come with your questions about faith. Designed for seekers. Alpha is an opportunity to explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open, and informal environment. 400 E 31st St, Baltimore, MD 21218. Register by calling/texting 724-307-5691.
6. "Discovering Christ" September series at the Baltimore Basilica
Join Amanda Krow and others from the Catholic community for an evening series on "Discovering Christ" at the Baltimore Basilica. More information here.
Join members of Village Church on Friday Sept 14, 7-10pm for a very special worship night - 3647 Roland Ave, Baltimore, MD 21211. More details and RSVP here: https://www.facebook.
8. Hiking trip at Harpers Ferry - Sept 22
Join PHCF and JHIF for a fun hiking trip at Harpers Ferry, WV, on Sat Sept 22 (12:30-9pm). Explore a historic town, admire the beauty of nature, and get to know other Hopkins students and affiliates! Rides available from JHMI, Downtown, Mount Vernon, and Homewood campus. More details here and register here.
9. Volunteer Opportunity with Hope Clinic - Sept 28 and 30, Oct 7
- What: Hope Clinic - free dental care, general medical care and health education services to the uninsured and under-insured
- Who: AMEN (Adventist Medical Evangelism Network)
- When & Where:
**Friday & Sunday, September 28 & 30, Philadelphia, PA
**Sunday, October 7th - Silver Spring, MD
- Types of Volunteers Needed (must be 15 and older):
** Medical professionals;
** Non-medical professionals (registration, hospitality, crowd control, chaplaincy/prayer team, patient exit, coat giveaway, patient eyeglass selection, etc.);
** Translators/Interpreters (for Silver Spring particularly need Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, & Russian)
- Areas Available to Volunteer In:
** Dental Area; Vision Area; Medical Area; General Volunteer; Student Volunteer (Dental & Medical students can get volunteer hours); Student Instructor Volunteer
- Examples of Different Departments:
** Children's Ministry; Food Services; Sterilization; Central Supply; Hospitality; Pastor/Chaplain's; Vision Services; Lifestyles
- All volunteers must register here --> https://
- Video of Patient Testimonies: https://vimeo.
- If interested in volunteering and you need a ride to Silver Spring you can contact Jan at email@example.com (limited seats available)
10. Global Missions Health Conference - Louisville KY - Nov 8-10
Registration ($110 for students) is currently ongoing for the global missions health conference! GMHC is a weekend of encouragement, networking, learning, and much more. Free housing available for students. This year will also have a special emphasis on human trafficking. Learn more at www.medicalmissions.com/
events/gmhc-2018 - Talk with Teresa if you are interested in going as a group!
To all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become the children of God. (John 1:12)