Wed lunch mtg W2033 (guest speaker Dr. Mosley), Global Missions Health Conference (Louisville KY, Nov 8-10)
Dear Public Health Christian Fellowship,
In Paul's famous description of love in 1 Cor 13, he writes: For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known (1 Cor 13:12) Praying that in the midst of midterms this week and other projects/work/events, the Lord walks closely with you as you remember to turn and seek his face, and that you do all your things-to-do for the sake of his glory. And sharing a song for meditation.
This Wednesday at 12:15pm in room W2033, please join us for our weekly gathering. Our guest speaker, Dr. Henry Mosley, will speak about "Reflections on following God's leadership" - it will be a sweet time of sharing, Q&A, and prayer. For those of you interested, Dr. Mosley published a recent article on family planning. (No Tuesday Bible study in the Book of John today!!!)
Also, Kayla mentioned a wonderful quote two weeks ago that we'd like to share: Christianity and science are opposed... but only in the same sense as that which my thumb and forefinger are opposed - and between them, I can grasp everything. - Sir William Bragg, Nobel Prize for Physics (1915)
New PHCF whatsapp group: we've heard some interest in a whatsapp group for easier communication/support/sharing/
prayer during the week outside of our meetings / beyond emails. Please email email@example.com with your name and phone number if you're interested in joining.
Grace and peace,
Teresa - for PHCF
Helpful links: PHCF website | map/list of local churches
Helpful links: PHCF website | map/list of local churches
- Praises and prayers
- Housing opportunities
- Job and scholarship opportunities
- Johns Hopkins International Fellowship on Fridays
- Volunteer opportunity with Hope Clinic - Sept 28 and 30, Oct 7
- Global Missions Health Conference - Louisville KY - Nov 8-10
1. Praises and prayers:
- Praise for a lovely hike at Harpers Ferry this past Saturday - for building relationships among members of PHCF, the International Fellowship, and the Graduate Christian Fellowship. May God continue to use outreach events like these not only to build up believers but draw those who don't yet know him personally to himself.
- Pray for the persecuted church around the world. Pray for those enduring through natural disaster. Pray for the leaders of the nations around the world, and of our state and city.
- Pray for Christian Faculty at the SPH as we start gathering for sharing and prayer on the last Tuesday of the month - contact Teresa for more details if interested in joining!
- Pray for new students as they settle down in Baltimore, start classes, and find spiritual community at the SPH and in local churches.
- Pray for our PHCF brothers and sisters who are currently afar for work/practicum/missions/
dissertation research, for favor in their work and traveling mercies.
- Pray for our PHCF brothers and sisters who recently graduated (or are graduating soon), finishing their capstones/theses/
dissertations, and/or who are seeking God's direction/calling for jobs and career. May we trust in God's plans more than our own, for his ways are higher than our ways and his thoughts than our thoughts (Is 55:9)
- Pray for the leaders (and leaders-in-training, and advisors, and members) of the various ministries around Hopkins - for unity, wisdom, and a big vision for God's work on campus this academic year.
2. Housing opportunities
- For Rent: 2 available rooms @ 504 N Chester St (5-min walk away from JHSPH). Big space, well-lighted row home for female tenants with responsive landlord. Shared living room and kitchen but each room has its own spacious bathroom. Bedroom at the 2nd floor is priced at 560/month. Basement is priced at 550/month. Does not include utilities and internet. Not yet furnished but may talk to landlord about renting furniture. Overall awesome place that's very close to the Medical Campus :) Contact Jessica (current tenant) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Grant (landlord) at email@example.com
- Looking for a Christian male roommate. A bedroom with a private bath is available in a nice town house with washer and dryer. $700/month including utilities and internet. House is in the corner of Univ Pkwy and E 33rd Street. Contact Jacob at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Job and scholarship opportunities
- For alumni - an epidemiology faculty position has opened at Wheaton College! Link Here for more information.
- The Harvey Fellows Program provides scholarships ($16k) to Christian students who are pursuing graduate studies at premier universities in fields considered to be underrepresented by Christians and who possess a unique vision to impact society through their vocations. Applications due Nov 1. More information here.
4. Johns Hopkins International Fellowship on Friday evenings
The International Fellowship (JHIF) hosts its weekly Friday dinner and Bible study at 7pm in the Green House Cafe in the PreClinical Teaching Building (725 N Wolfe St). International students and scholars (and people who like getting to know people from different cultures and backgrounds) are welcome to join! More information here.
5. Volunteer Opportunity with Hope Clinic - Sept 28 and 30, Oct 7
- What: Hope Clinic - free dental care, general medical care and health education services to the uninsured and under-insured
- Who: AMEN (Adventist Medical Evangelism Network)
- When & Where:
**Friday & Sunday, September 28 & 30, Philadelphia, PA
**Sunday, October 7th - Silver Spring, MD
- Types of Volunteers Needed (must be 15 and older):
** Medical professionals;
** Non-medical professionals (registration, hospitality, crowd control, chaplaincy/prayer team, patient exit, coat giveaway, patient eyeglass selection, etc.);
** Translators/Interpreters (for Silver Spring particularly need Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, & Russian)
- Areas Available to Volunteer In:
** Dental Area; Vision Area; Medical Area; General Volunteer; Student Volunteer (Dental & Medical students can get volunteer hours); Student Instructor Volunteer
- Examples of Different Departments:
** Children's Ministry; Food Services; Sterilization; Central Supply; Hospitality; Pastor/Chaplain's; Vision Services; Lifestyles
- All volunteers must register here
- If interested in volunteering and you need a ride to Silver Spring you can contact Jan at email@example.com (limited seats available)
6. Global Missions Health Conference - Louisville KY - Nov 8-10
Registration ($110 for students) is currently ongoing for the global missions health conference! GMHC is a weekend of encouragement, networking, learning, and much more. Free housing available for students. This year will also have a special emphasis on human trafficking. Learn more here - Talk with Teresa if you are interested in going as a group!
Our Redeemer - the Lord Almighty is his name - is the Holy One of Israel (Isaiah 47:4)